We can help with:
Accelerate your career
Join us today
Book an event
A unique 3-minute opportunity to pitch to publishers & agents
Do you want to know how to nail your pitch to publishers?
We advocate for members
Stay in the know
Stay in the know with industry news and ASA views.
Search our resources
Find ASA members
FAQs on publishing and more.
Member only guide to the Australian book industry.
Please read the following terms and conditions carefully before submitting your work to ASA’s Style File. Submissions that fail to comply with the terms and conditions will not be accepted.
1. The ASA is facilitating opportunities for its members to have their illustrations viewed by local and international publishing circles, but we are not representing you nor acting as your agent. While the ASA will make every effort to attract the involvement of as many potential publishers as possible, we cannot guarantee that any submission will lead to a publishing opportunity.
Eligibility to submit your work to Style File
2. The Style File is available to ASA members only. You do not need to be an ASA member to submit an entry but, if your submission is successful, then you must join the ASA to be included in the Style File. You can join the ASA at www.asauthors.org/join
3. You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
4. You must be 18 years of age or over.
5. Submissions must be your original work.
6. You warrant that you are the sole owner of all rights, including copyright, in the work you are submitting to the Style File. You warrant that exploitation of your work will not infringe the copyright or other proprietary rights of third parties.
7. You may only upload illustrations not already exclusively licensed to your publisher (or other third party). You must check the terms of your publishing agreement(s). The ASA is not liable for any breach of contract caused by your submission, subsequent use of your images or subsequent entry into a publishing agreement.
How to enter
8. You must:
(a) complete all required fields of the online submission form; and
(b) attach 9 images in JPEG or PNG formats, with square dimensions and a minimum width and height of 1920 pixels.
Entries which do not conform to these requirements will not be accepted into the Style File. You will be notified if your entry does not conform to these requirements and you will have one opportunity to re-submit your entry, provided that you comply with the deadline set out in clause 11 of these Terms and Conditions.
9. Each image you upload must be assigned a Specialty and Medium. Choose any one speciality from list (a) and one medium from list (b) per image.
10. The illustrations submitted must be complete and of a professional standard, as determined by the ASA’s assessment panel in its absolute discretion. You will be notified if your submission is accepted. The panel’s decision will be final; no correspondence will be entered into and no personalised feedback will be given to applicants.
11. You must submit your entry online no later than close of business on 20 October 2023, 5pm AEDT. Late submissions will not be accepted.
12. Successful submissions will be published online as soon as possible after the assessment process has taken place.
13. Upon submitting your entry, you will be charged an administration fee of $20 (inc GST). If your entry is accepted into the Style File, you will be charged an annual subscription fee of $96 (inc. GST) to have your work featured on the website and to have your work included in one International Marketplace. These fees are non-refundable. You will be advised and invoiced by email and payment must be received by the date outlined in your acceptance email.
14. You consent to the ASA collecting your contact details for the purpose of running the Style File and if successful, disclosing your name, bio and nominated contact details on your published portfolio.
15. The assessment panel, in its absolute discretion, may disqualify any applicants if they reasonably suspect any unlawful or improper conduct, such as infringing a third party’s intellectual property rights, or if there has been a breach of these terms and conditions.
16. Successful submissions will be published online. As with any online publication, please be aware that there is a risk your illustrations will be copied. It is open to you to use digital watermarks if you wish. The ASA does not warrant that your uploads to the Style File will be protected against misuse or alteration by third parties. You submit your illustrations to the Style File accepting this risk and releasing the ASA from any liability for any loss or damage arising out of your use of Style File.